Thursday, March 22, 2012

Springtime addiction salad


So anyone who knows me well knows my obsession with this salad at Couch Tomato Café.  I even refer to it as crack salad (really dubbed the food pyramid salad) because it is addictive and I have cravings for it.  It could be their amazing dressing or the sugared pecans.  But my eating habits and budget can’t allow for it all the time so I created my own with a couple of twists.
 
Before giving you the recipe let me tell you about Mâche Rosettes. Mâche is a cute little salad green that I stumbled upon at Whole Foods 2 years ago.  It’s a milder lettuce, maybe even a bit nutty in taste. It has a cool texture because its like sprigs of lettuce together and looks fun to eat. Plus it’s the right size to eat without having to do any work. Definitely go out and try it.


“crack” food pyramid salad
Mâche Rosettes
Sliced ripe strawberries
Thinly half moon sliced cucumber (some may want to peel this first)
Pecan pieces or whatever nut you want (non-sugared & just a few because I wanted to but you could leave this out)
Roasted chicken or just made hard boil egg (I like the egg still kinda warm and gooey) or any other protein
2 types of dressing ideas:           
fresh squeezed lemon juice, salt and Tony’s EVOO
Balsamic, EVOO, and with a touch of honey mustard whisked together

Then enjoy!! And yes you too may become addicted to salad :)


1 comment: