Sunday, October 23, 2011

Bring your “A” game!


Do you want to be a competitive warrior?  What kind of head do you have on your shoulders? Whether you do or don’t want to compete this article will help you.  It even applies to daily life when fears get in the way or we get stuck in certain behavior patterns.  We all do this at one time or another.  Fears and self-doubt paralyze us and prevent us from reaching our potential.  I will use the term athlete but substitute it for whatever your goal is or what you are identifying as a challenge.

Athletes will work on strength, quickness and fitness levels. Of course you need to do this hard work to be successful. But what about when you are about to compete or the workout of the day or challenge yourself on another level.  Where is your mind then?  In practice it is 95% physical and 5% mental – give or take a percentage.  When it comes to competing it’s the reverse 95% mental and 5% physical.  How many of you practice mental strength?  Maybe you do the week before an event but practicing daily can carry over in many different aspects of life.

Here are some things to work on or keep in mind:

1.     Attitude.  So much to say here and go into detail of state of mind and emotions.  But do a self-check daily, hourly on your present self.  Do you have confidence?  The why isn’t important all the time but identifying it is. This is hard to go into without doing a therapy session with someone as there may be underlying reasons why you constantly struggle with self-doubt or is it a given day that just is putting you in a funk.  Notice your patterns but don’t over analyze by yourself this will dig you into a deeper hole.

2.     Programming.  Just like programming for your physical training it is important to do so with mental training.  Positive affirmations may help. Placing fair and reachable expectations then can be adjusted as you reach them. Visualize your success including the actual events and using all senses.  What will you hear, see, smell, feel…  Focus on what you want to occur.  Using “I will, I can, I am going to...” will help. Make a script for yourself if needed. Schedule this programming like you would your physical training.

3.     Routines.  When I swam competitively I had a routine before I got up on the block.  My mom and coaches would know if I was not mentally there if I didn’t do this hand/arm shaking motion and adjusting of my goggles.  I couldn’t force this routine it would just happen.  If I was distant it didn’t happen but being aware of this and doing it would ground me to be ready to do my all in the race. Sometimes you have to be okay with this awareness not to happen.  The hand/arm shake came out of nowhere. I can’t think of a time I didn’t do it or when I started doing it.  Notice what is comfortable; maybe a coach will point it out for you.  This routine will come from practice.  Competing in triathlons is different.   For this I practice the race, drive the course, go over what my set up will be, when my nutrition will take place and what I am going to eat, etc.

4.     Letting go of mistakes.  Eek!! Not easy, right! But practicing composure and poise will help with this.  You will need to compensate, adjust and trust what your body is telling you.  If plan A doesn’t work, go with B or C.  Have something that can ground you back to focusing on the task at hand.  Maybe a certain song, picture, phrase.  Practice this too.   Later you can reflect back on the mistake to make adjustments but during the challenge, event, game, whatever – keep it focused.

5.     Reframing negative self-talk.  Yup another that we do and sometimes don’t notice we do it. Identify those triggers that cause you frustration, feeling rushed, intimidated, lose focus. Id you hear yourself say “I can’t, I never, I hate…” After you identify these statements or thoughts change the statement to make it positive or have a motivating statement.  Example – “This weight is going to be heavy” instead “Get aggressive, and lift that sh*t” or “There is no way I’m going to beat that girl” to “I’m going to get a best time or PR”.

6.     Stay in the present.  Very hard to do as we all think about what is coming next.  Identify when you are playing chess with what you are doing.  That is stop thinking 3 moves ahead and take in what you are currently doing.  This takes practice.  I recommend looking into mindfulness activities and mediation.  Until you do, focus on the sense again and the task at hand along with your body cues.

7.     Failure is a stepping-stone to future achievements.  And failures make the successes even sweeter.  Focus on the big picture, the whole process.

AND sometimes you also just have to say “F**K it!” Enjoy what you have done, take a break, re-assess, treat yourself and start again.



 Part II will be coming soon with more ways to get over mental blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment