Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pork chops with a new flavor

For the longest time I gave up eating pork chops.  I recall back in high school eating my mom's delicious rosemary pork chops weekly after swim practice. Guess I ate too much of a good thing and became picky about not eating them. 

Starting eating all this protein - 100 grams a day which was a lot at first for me - I needed to retry eating pork chops.  So I came up with the following recipe with a couple of variations.  Very quick and easy and scrumptious.

4 pork chops, bone in or out your preference
2 large onions, sliced in half moons.  I've used both red and yellow

Variation 1
2 peaches

Variation 2
1/2 cup of dried cherries soak these in apple cider vinegar while preparing the rest
Coconut oil
Salt & pepper
Fresh basil
1/2 cup Apple cider vinegar (I've also done this with white vinegar)

Step 1. In a hot pan with coconut oil sear the salt and pepper seasoned pork for 3 min each side. Until nicely browned


Step 2  Remove pork and set aside
Step 3 Add in onions and sauté until them start to become soft
Step 4. Add in fruit and 1/4 cup of vinegar. Cook for 5 minutes or so
Step 5 Add in pork and it's juices
Step 6 Cover with lid and either cook in 350 degree oven or on stove top at about 6.
Step 7 Cook until pork is cooked through. Approx 15 min
Step 8 Add some fresh basil leaves and serve
Step 9 Happy Belly!!




Tonight's new variation included adding in some handfuls of kale.  I'm too busy to chop it so I rip it with my hands.  Old world style.  Added the kale with the onions.  Only had one onion today (odd for me) which inspired me to add one of my favorite veggies KALE! Then added in the pork and the cherries and cider vinegar.

I made the recipe above a couple of week's ago for mom with the peaches variation and she loved them. She also couldn't get over the difference in taste over grass fed meat straight from the farm than the stuff she gets at the Acme.

Amazing grass fed pork from Whole Foods

No comments:

Post a Comment