Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I have a need for Mexican food

Anyone who knows me really well knows I LOVE Mexican food.  I LOVE spice. And I crave Mexican pretty much all of the time. So I have been searching online for Paleo Mexican recipes.  I found a couple of good ones for inspiration and then headed off to the market with some of my own ideas. I was going to buy some flank steak but stumbled upon Round Bottom Swiss Steak which was much cheaper than flank steak.  I've never heard of this kind of steak but I thought what the heck let me try it. The tomatoes and avocados I bought weren't quite ripe yet.  Oh how I miss summer veggies!  So I grilled the tomato and passed on making the guacamole until later this week. The steak came out tasty, a little chewier than other cuts but still delicious. I didn't even miss the chips or tortilla because of all of the flavor.  I also ate a small sweet potato because I'm obsessed with them right now and am planning on enjoying them until the new year and new goals.


Recipe for Carne Asada my way
4 Round Bottom Swiss Steak (about 2 lbs)
1 large jalapeno, diced
handful of fresh cilantro
zest of one lime
sprinkle of cumin on each steak
white wine vinegar
olive oil
4 cloves of garlic chopped

I sprinkled ground cumin on 1 side of each steak, threw on the garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, zested the lime over it, splashed white wine vinegar on each steak and sprinkled olive oil. Makes for a very fragrant and fresh marinade. Marinade for an hour.

I marintated 2 of the steaks for an hour because I was starving. The other 2 sat for a total of 3 hours.  Both time frames worked but the longer it sat the more flavor of the marinade the meat absorbed. I threw the steaks on my grill pan for a couple of minutes each side as I like my meat medium, medium-rare(ish). Served it over mixed greens that had fresh squeezed lime juice and some of the grilled tomato.  Sweet potato was eaten after as an extra. I finished off my meal with some bone marrow broth.


No comments:

Post a Comment